Knowing some simple, healthy and quick recipes to cook when you and your family are ill will have them feeling better faster and will leave you time to rest too!
Family life can quickly go from 100 miles per hour to a complete standstill when someone gets sick. The usual busy family home changes from the hub of family life to an eerily quiet space as the illness spreads and one by one we get sick. Avoiding getting the illness when a child or partner is sick might be tricky, but there are steps you can take to help your family fend off the illness, and some nutrient-rich recipes that will help you and your loved ones feel themselves again – and what’s more, they’re delicious too!
Eating well to keep illness at bay
When you have a poorly little one or partner, try and ensure that you and the rest of the family are eating properly. Helping your family’s immune systems stay healthy and strong with a nutrient- and vitamin-rich diet will help you fight off the bug should it start to spread. From vegetables and seeds to fruit and smoothies, there are a host of delicious recipes to try, packed full of immune-boosting ingredients. Here are some easy ways to get superfoods into your family’s everyday diet, while tasting great too!
- Or perhaps try a tummy-loving healthy smoothie when your partner gets home from work. The importance of gut health for a strong immune system is becoming increasingly recognized, and there’s a growing scientific link between having a happy gut and a strong immune system. To make a tummy-loving smoothie, all you need is a handful of fresh bananas and strawberries, plain yoghurt, and some milk. Simply blend, serve, and allow the good bacteria to give your gut some love. It’s also packed full of vitamins!
My family’s ill, what should I cook?
With little ones at nursery or school and mum and dad working, it can be almost impossible to avoid bringing germs into the family home. While we can’t do much to help your aching body and pounding head, we do have a selection of healthy, quick and easy recipes to make cooking for the whole family that bit easier. Plus, these recipes are not only super simple and delicious, they pack a serious health punch too, helping boost your family’s immune system and getting you and them back to your usual selves.
- Chicken soup has long been hailed as the saviour for those suffering with a cold or flu and science has found that this isn’t just a myth; chicken soup really can help beat the aches, pains, and congestion of a cold. The chicken is packed with zinc, which alleviates cold symptoms, the vegetables are full of immune-boosting vitamins, and the warm broth can reduce congestion, making this recipe a cold-fighting fix for the whole family. Plus, as it can be made as a one pot meal, it’s simple and easy to create with very little washing up!
- A clove of garlic is a well-known sickness-fighting fix, especially when it comes to colds and flu. Harnessing garlic’s active component allicin, which has antimicrobial properties, can be delicious with this quick and easy fresh pesto. Using roasted garlic as its base ingredient, pesto is easy to make into a meal that the whole family will love. Simply boil pasta as usual and stir in the fresh pesto – a delicious health and energy boost for the whole family in minutes!
- Carrots are full of immune-boosting nutrients and what is more comforting for the whole family than a rich, hearty soup? Whipping up a carrot soup is quick and easy with this recipe. Simply boil the fresh vegetables until tender and blend. Then try adding a pinch or two of ginger – not only does it add a delicious spice to the soup, but its anti-inflammatory benefits and ability to reduce nausea are well known, meaning that it will tackle your sickness head on.
- Spice has long been hailed as a way to relieve nasal congestion so why not try whipping up a curry when the family are sick. The spices have been found to rid the system of bacteria and help clear the nasal passage ways. Why not try this recipe for a healthy meal for the whole family?
Within a matter of days, the whole family can be ill, including you. Which is why it’s so important to know some simple and delicious recipes that you can whip up to have you and your whole family feeling better in no time. The comforting feeling of home cooked meal will have everyone on the road to recovery!